Happy Spring, y’all! I woke up this morning feeling like I had crossed the finish line of a monumental feat — it’s March 20. I made it through winter and spring is finally here. And all the birds chirped Hallelujah!
Even though we had a mild winter this year, it was still obnoxiously cold and windy. Truthfully, I wouldn’t have minded another snow event, but only if it was 10″ inches or more of snow. I was so tired of the slushy and hardly a dusting snow day, which seemed like such a waste. But, (fingers crossed) we are done with the white and fluffy stuff so we can focus on happier things like pastel colors, fresh cut flowers, and sunshine.
As I was looking at my calendar and anxiously counting down to today, I started to wonder how I might recognize the occasion. Y’all know by now that I like to celebrate just about everything so why not celebrate the start of Spring?! I’m sharing eight of my ideas of how to celebrate below if you’re looking to add a little spring vibe to your week.
- Share a Sweet Treat: Dairy Queen and Rita’s both are celebrating the first day of spring today! Swing by Dairy Queen for a free vanilla cone or visit Rita’s for a cup of Italian ice. But don’t forget, summer is now just around the corner so maybe don’t indulge too much 😉 Or maybe do — you deserve it after making it through winter. You do you, friend!
- Decorate Your House with Spring Flowers: Nothing says Spring more to me than fresh spring flowers. While it may still be a little early for peonies and hydrangeas, I think an assortment of tulips or daffodils would be the perfect bouquet to brighten up your space!
- Make a Spring Bucket List: I have yet to make mine this year, but I loved having one written down last year. It helped give Jody and I ideas of what to do on the weekend, and was the perfect way to start dreaming about the warmer weather, especially since the Mid-Atlantic occasionally has early-spring snowstorms! Need ideas for your bucket list? You can see mine from last year here.
- Plan a Spring Garden: It definitely isn’t warm enough here in Maryland to start planting a garden just yet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t start thinking about one! Head to Pinterest or Better Homes & Garden for some inspiration for yours.
- Get Outdoors: There is nothing better than the feeling of fresh air and warm sun rays shining down after a long winter. Find a way to get outside today! Go for a walk, watch the sunset or relax on your porch — just don’t look at how much dirt has accumulated over the winter.
- Get a Head Start on Spring Cleaning: Speaking of dirt, maybe today is the day to start your spring cleaning. I know, this isn’t the best definition of celebration, but if the weather is cooperating, why not knock a couple of “to do’s” off of your cleaning list. Plus, the sooner its done, the better (#allergies).
- Add Some Spring to Your Wardrobe: Okay, so maybe its not time to bring out the shorts just yet, but I have plenty of pastel colored tops that I will be adding into my rotation. If that still doesn’t work for you, switch your purse to something more light and bright or paint a shade of pastel on your nails! Bye bye dark nails color!
- Make a Spring-Inspired Recipe: When I think of spring foods, I think of fresh fruit, asparagus, and eggs. In honor of the new season, whip up a dish for dinner inspired by the fruits and veggies that are in season. I’m hoping to try these recipes out this spring — Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa, Strawberry and Mixed Green Salad, and Asparagus and Mushroom Frittata with Goat Cheese.
And there you have it! I hope you all have a wonderful spring. I would love to hear some ways that you celebrated spring this year. Tell me all about them in the comments below!