Happy Halloween y’all!!
I’m not a huge Halloween fan, but I do like any reason to celebrate! After Jody and I first got married, we made a deal that if I watch 31 days of Halloween movies with him, he has to watch Christmas movies with me (including Hallmark!). We wanted to share in the excitement of each other’s favorite holidays and I honestly have started to look forward to scary movies during October. What we didn’t realize, though, is watching the same Halloween movies over and over again loses its thrill (another pro of Christmas, just saying).
Over the past few months, we complied a list of scary, suspenseful and thrilling movies to watch during our movie binge this month. While we didn’t have a chance to watch as many as we had hoped, we have a list already started for next year. And since some of you are probably hoping for one last spook of the holiday, I thought I’d share the list we complied with y’all! Below is a list of movies that are as innocent as Charlie Brown and as scary as Insidious, where you can watch them, and some of our opinions!
- Hocus Pocus || On-demand and rent.
- Sleepy Hollow || On Demand. We watched the 1999 version with Johnny Depp!
- The Exorcist || Rent.
- Friday the 13th || Rent. This is such a classic!
- Nightmare on Elm Street || On-demand and rent. Another classic!
- The Strangers || Netflix.
- It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! || Aired last week and rent. It’s not Halloween without this one.
- The Poltergeist || Rent. Jody prefers the original!
- Halloween || On demand. Again, another classic
- Carrie || Rent. I like the new one!
- The Amityville Horror || Rent.
- Insidious || Rent. This one is a whole lot of NOPE!
- Signs || Hulu. We didn’t watch this year, but mostly because we’ve seen it five thousand times.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas || On demand. We love this movie, although I would argue it is a “November” movie.
- The Decent || Rent.
- The Babadook || Netflix. If you want to be scared of your basement, watch this.
- The Conjuring || Netflix.
- Hush || Netflix. I honestly didn’t make it through this one. I hid under the pillows and sang myself to sleep. SO SCARY.
- The Corpse Bride || Rent. Another great one by Tim Burton!
- Open House || Original Netflix Film. Ignore the ratings, this was actually terrifying.
- The Rite || Rent.
- The Invitation || Netflix. We stumbled upon this movie last year on Halloween, and y’all, prepare to have your minds blown.
- Mother || Rent.
- The Haunting of Hill House || Original Netflix Series. This one has been trending this year and for good reason. This is legitimately I’m-never-going-to-sleep-again scary. We have four episodes left and I’m not sure I can do it.
Tonight, after Jody and I pass out candy to Trick-or-Treaters, we are planning to curl up on the couch with a bowl of chili and beer bread while watching one of these movies listed above. We haven’t decided which one yet, but we are between The Strangers and watching more of The Haunting of Hill House.
Are you planning to watch any Halloween movies tonight? What are your plans? I’d love to know. Leave me a comment below!