There are two types of people in the world – people who can celebrate their birthday in one day and people who can drag it out all week (or month!) long. I definitely fall into the latter of that categorization, but honestly, is anyone surprised? If there is a celebration, y’all know I am here for it!
I turned 27 last week, and like many others this year, we had to creatively come up with a different way to celebrate. My birthday fell in the middle of the workweek so I decided to celebrate with a dinner out (outdoor dining opened in Maryland at the beginning of the month) on my actual birthday and save more of the celebrating for the weekend. Creatively, my mom and Jody planned and surprised me with a daylong scavenger hunt to 27 places that were important to me or were part of my story. It was such a blast working my way through the clues to discover where our next stop would be.
Similar to my weekend celebration and in honor of my birthday, I thought I’d share 27 things about me that you might not know. Those of you that have followed me for a while might know some of these, but it will be fun to see how many of you will know them all!
27 Things You May Not Know About Me
- I was born on June 10 thus making June my favorite month of the year. I am a summer baby and 100% proud of it.
- I started blogging in 2013. My first blog was uncreatively called “Twenty-Something” where I shared sarcastic and dramatic stories of my everyday life. I semi-regularly posted on it throughout my junior year of college and stopped blogging that summer until I started up this site in 2016.
- As a child, I was obsessed with American Girl dolls. I had Felicity, Kirsten, Kit, Molly, and a look-like-me doll that I named Kelsey. My sister had the other five original dolls and we spent most hours of our childhood playing with our dolls.
- Speaking of American Girl, I was an avid subscriber to their magazine. As a kid, I wanted to work for their magazine and I used each issue as inspiration for any party I was planning. Y’all, I’ve been planning parties since I was eight years old.
- I used to make myself a dish that I called “My Special”, which consisted of a rolled-up tortilla filled with cinnamon applesauce and shredded cheese.
- I love traveling! So far, I’ve visited 35 states and 11 countries. I loved all of them for different reasons, but Italy and Peru have been my favorites so far.
- My right pinkie finger is crooked from a field hockey face-off that went wrong in middle school.
- I had a ton of hair when I was born, so much so that it looked like I had bangs!
- In addition to playing tennis for most of my life, I rode horses for five years. I also rode on my college’s equestrian team for a semester, too!
- Pineapple is my favorite fruit!
- When I started drinking coffee, it was basically cream and sugar with a splash of coffee. Now I take my coffee just with a splash or two of almond milk.
- I’ve suffered from motion sicknesses most of my life. Oddly enough, it only really bothers me in cars. I’m usually fine on planes and boats!
- Chick-Fil-A is my favorite fast-food restaurant.
- One of my favorite things to do is to stroll the aisles of Marshalls or T.J.Maxx with a cup of Starbucks coffee. Our local Marshalls was set to open right before the Coronavirus outbreak – one of the stops on my Birthday Scavenger Hunt was tailgating with coffee, Cheerwine, and cheese in the empty parking lot! I’m thinking I might do it again when the store is able to open!
- When I was 11, I cut off 12+ inches of my hair and donated it to Locks of Love.
- I like to sing! I grew up singing at church, in school plays, and even entered a few talent shows. I even performed the National Anthem at my senior Homecoming game as well as at my high school graduation.
- I can’t watch military Homecoming videos without crying. Gets me every time.
- I don’t like chocolate. In any form. Pass the vanilla, please.
- I don’t have any tattoos, but I used to want to have a heart tattooed on the top of my foot when I was 16.
- Jody and I actually broke up for several months in college. Funny enough, it was in that moment when we went separate ways that I knew he was the love of my life.
- I have a freakishly good sense of direction. I only need to go someplace once to remember how to get there.
- I love to be in and around the water. My summers growing up consisted of swimming in the pool, going out on my Poppop’s boat, and splashing around in the river at camp.
- My favorite TV show of all time is How I Met Your Mother. The Office is a close second.
- My favorite color is pink.
- I feel 100% more confident in heels and dangly earrings. However, I’m 100% more comfortable in sandals :p
- I have one pointy ear, affectionately known as my elf ear.
- I love playing board games. My whole family is super into playing games and has been for as long as I can remember. We would visit my mom’s side of the family each Christmas and would play for three days straight. It was loud, chaotic and so wonderful.
I hope you found that as fun as I did! I haven’t done a post like this in a long time, so I figured it was a good time to chat a little about me. I’ve grown so much in the few short years since starting this blog and it has been such a joy to share a bit about my world with y’all. Thank you for following along and spending time in my little corner of the internet. Cheers to 27!