It’s strawberry season, y’all! Strawberries are one of my all-time favorite fruits, and I love eating them year-round. I recently heard that May is National Strawberry Month and in honor of that and the fact I picked up the tastiest fresh strawberries from our local farmers market last week, I thought it would be fun to share a round-up of my favorite strawberry recipes!
By far, my favorite summer strawberry recipe is Strawberry Shortcake. I’ll eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner! It is such a sweet and easy recipe and, in my opinion, just tastes like summer. I’ve used the same recipe from Bisquick for years – it’s just that good! If you like strawberries mixed with other fruits, check out the Mixed Berry Cobbler recipe I included in this post. It also uses Biquick and is an easy dessert for any night you may be grilling. I just made it for Memorial Day earlier this week, and it was a hit! I also included two of my other go-to strawberry recipes, more conducive to the balance of healthy eating, especially after indulging in the shortcake and cobbler!
Originally posted by Bisquick
- Heat oven to 425°F. In large bowl, mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
- In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and the butter until soft dough forms. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by spoonfuls. (The recipe calls for six, but I prefer to make the shortcakes smaller, so I usually get around 10. You can even put the dough in muffin tins for portion control!)
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Split and break apart warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream.
Strawberry Walnut Salad
Salads are so versatile that you can make it however you please! This is a simple and basic recipe that I use to make a side salad for lunch or dinner. This can easily be converted to a main dish with the addition of sliced grilled chicken and can be topped with whatever dressing you like! I think a Balsalmic Vinaigrette or a Poppy Seed Dressing would pair nicely!
4 handfuls of greens (I prefer arugula or spinach)
About 12 fresh strawberries, sliced
1 cup of walnuts, halved or chopped
1/2 cup of feta cheese
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Admittedly, I don’t follow a recipe for smoothies – I’m more of the throw stuff in until it tastes right type. Smoothies are my go-to breakfast or lunch in the summer! I love how easy they are, and its the perfect meal for outdoor dining on hot summer mornings. My go-to smoothie includes frozen strawberries, one banana, a handful of spinach, a splash or two of unsweetened Almond Milk, and sometimes, a frozen acai puree packet (I found mine at Trader Joe’s). Blend and pour into a cup or bowl and enjoy!
Handful of spinach
1/4 cup Almond milk
- Toss all ingredients in a blender and blend to desired consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!
Mixed Berry Cobbler On The Grill
adapted from Steve Doocy
1 lb bag of frozen mixed berries, thawed
1/4 cup of sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3/4 cup Bisquick (I use Heart Smart)
Roughly 1/3 cup of milk
1/4 cup of butter
- Place a cast-iron skillet on grill, over indirect medium heat, about 375 degrees. Preheating the skillet will take 10 to 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the mixed berries with one tablespoon of sugar and the vanilla. Stir then let them sit. In a new bowl, add the Bisquick and milk with 1/4 cup of sugar, stir until smooth.
- In the cast-iron skillet, melt the butter, then immediately pour in the batter. Do not mix with the butter. Scatter the berries on top, don’t mix. Save the leftover juices from the berries, set aside. Sprinkle the batter and berry tops with up to 1 tablespoon of sugar then close the lid.
- Cook 30 minutes, it’s done when the crust is golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Top with leftover berry juice, cool whip or vanilla ice cream.
Other Strawberry Recipes to Try
- Strawberries, Peaches, Basil & Orange Vinaigrette
- Strawberry Jam
- Grilled Chicken with Strawberry Salsa
Do you have a favorite strawberry recipe that you come back to year after year? I’m always looking for more 🙂 Let me know in the comments below. Enjoy!