It’s the most wonderful time of the year! And with that, the busiest. Does anyone else feel like there are a million things to get done but no time to do them? I often feel that way this time of year. Whether the tree isn’t just right, or waiting to be inspired to create that perfect tablescape, or just having party after party to attend, Christmas season can sometimes be completely overwhelming.
Completely opposite of our laid-back November, this month for us is almost completely booked. Starting on the 14th, we have a visit New York City, a trip back to Virginia to celebrate Christmas with my in-laws, an overnight work trip in Baltimore, Christmas parties, visiting friends and family, Christmas Eve and Day with my side of the family, and ringing in the New Year with close friends in North Carolina. That is a lot to fit into sixteen days!
Even though I’m late in posting my last goals post for 2018, my biggest goal for December has been on my heart for a few weeks and is completely fitting in this season of holiday hustle and bustle. Instead of getting discouraged, lost or overwhelmed during this busy season, I want to fully immerse myself in it. Whether that be put off washing the dishes one night to snuggle up on the couch to watch one of our favorite Christmas movies, not stick to my meal plan to spend an extra few hours with family and friends, or spend less time obsessing over the “perfect” gift for someone who will just appreciate the thought, my overall goal for this season is comfort and joy.
In this season, how do you prioritize maintaining comfort and joy? I’m starting simple — wearing my L.L. Bean mocassin slippers around the house, constantly playing cheerful Christmas music, watching all of the classic movies and of course, enjoying some warm cups of cheer! 🙂
Keep a gratitude journal of something I’m thankful each day between now and Thanksgiving Love Jody well through the last month of his stressful and busy semester
- Order Christmas cards
Find more ways to be active during the changing weather Host our friends well during our upcoming fall get together Be present during holiday gatherings with my in-laws
- Turn off the TV and spend more time reading (y’all, Gilmore Girls is killing me. I can’t stop)
- Complete a devotion series on gratitude to prepare my heart for the upcoming season
Order Christmas Cards
- Celebrate the Christmas season focusing on comfort and joy!
- Be present with family and friends throughout this joyful season
- Go to the gym at least once a week (have to work off all of the cookies somehow!)
- Read the She Reads Truth Advent devotional: Until the Son of God Appears to prepare my heart for the true meaning of Christmas
- Reflect on 2018 goals and start brainstorming 2019’s yearly goals